UBC Scholarly Publication Fund
Sponsor: Office of the VP Research & Innovation and Office of the Provost
Value: Up to $5,000 for direct subvention support. Up to $2,000 for other publication charges.
Description: The UBC Scholarly Publication Fund assists UBC faculty members with the costs of scholarly publication. Subventions are partial subsidies toward the cost of publishing scholarly works, and are commonly requested by publishers and academic presses. Support for other publication costs can enhance the work through use of images, copyrighted materials, or special production elements. Researchers often report difficulty securing appropriate funding sources for such costs, particularly early career faculty in the humanities and social sciences.
- Peer-reviewed publications (books, book chapters, edited volumes, and articles) directly aligned with the above SSHRC subject guidelines are eligible for funding.
- The author or at least one co-author must be tenured/tenure-track faculty members in the Research Stream or Educational Leadership Stream or librarians and archivists with confirmed/confirmation-track appointments.
- Early career and pre-tenure faculty members have priority.
- Funds will be awarded only when no other funding is available to the author for this purpose.
- Subventions will not normally be awarded to a book which has received, or for which the publisher intends to apply for an Awards to Scholarly Publication Program grant.
- Individuals and co-authors are limited to $7,000 in funding within a two-year period.
Applicants can request funding for one or both of the following costs involved in publishing a work: 1) subventions and 2) other publication costs. Where both types of costs are requested, a separate application for each is required.
- Priority will be given to scholarly works where subventions are required for publication, that is, where the publisher’s contract explicitly requests or requires an author subvention in order for the book to be published. Up to $5,000 is available for direct subvention support.
- Funding may also be requested for other publication costs to cover the costs of adding material or engaging services that would not otherwise be available. This could include professional indexing, copyright clearance/permissions, preparation of camera-ready text or graphics, obtaining translations or illustrations, or preparation and reproduction of materials such as maps that would enhance the publication. Up to $2,000 is available for other publication charges.
Exclusions. This fund is intended to support direct costs of publishing scholarly works. It does not support:
- travel, marketing or advertising, equipment, supplies, purchase of copies
- commercially-oriented works, textbooks, or trade publications
- faculty members’ or assistants’ time writing or conducting research
- article processing charges (APCs) or cost of publishing in open access books and journals.
Please see the program’s web site for full eligibility and application details.
The online application form and instructions for requisite attachments are available on the fund’s web site. Application deadlines occur four times yearly October 15, December 15, March 15, and June 15.
Contact: If you have any questions, contact Leonora Crema.