Faculty of Education Research Infrastructure Support Services (RISS) Grant

Program Link: https://ore.educ.ubc.ca/research/internal-and-external-funding/

Sponsor: Faculty of Education

Value: Requests between $500 and $10,000

Description: The Faculty of Education’s Research Infrastructure Support Services (RISS) program is designed to help Education faculty pursue excellent research as defined by the disciplines represented within the Departments and the School by supporting activities and expenses that are typically ineligible for support from other grant sources. RISS supports are limited to external grant matching, postdoctoral benefits, funds for pre-conference planning, matching for UBC’s SSHRC Bridge Funding Program and funds to support community engagement for early stage research project planning.

The program is NOT designed to fund expenses related to primary research (e.g. data collection and/or analysis) or knowledge mobilization activities (e.g. on-site conference expenses, publication expenses, website development). It is expected that faculty will apply for (e.g.) Tri-Agency funds such as SSHRC Insight or Connection Grants, internally-adjudicated small SSHRC Explore Grants, or University publication funds to support such work.

The Dean’s Advisory Committee for Research (DACR), with representatives from Departments and the School of Kinesiology, adjudicates these grant applications three times per year.

Except for applications for postdoctoral fellow benefits, completed RISS application forms must be emailed to Robert Olaj in ORE by 12 noon on Monday, October 3, 2022, Tuesday January 3, 2023, and Monday, April 3, 2023.

Applications for postdoctoral benefits (for those who have successfully been awarded external fellowships), may be submitted at any time. Given that that postdoctoral appointments start throughout the year, aligning the RISS award with the appointment allows more optimal use of the award to cover employment benefits.

Deadline to email applications to ORE: October 3, 2022

Contact: If you have any questions, contact Robert Olaj in the Office of Research in Education.